HELP!!!! I am scheduled for an induction on the 1/14/11 if I don't go into labor before then and we don't have a name. The truth is, he has had SEVERAL names and none have stuck. The worst part is...My husband got me to agree on something (in a moment of complete panic!) that I am SOOO not okay with, and now he won't back off it! I can't bring myself to concede and go with DH's name, even with COMPLETE control of the middle name! Our last name is two syllables and starts with K.
A brief history...
We have an almost three year old named Evangeline and we call her Evie. We love how her name is not too common but not unfamiliar. It was hard agreeing on a name, but once we found Evangeline, we both "knew" that was it. Our taste in boy names it quit different though. Evangeline to us sounds ethereal, timeless, elegant, and has a kind of ambiguous European sound. It also is a variant of an important family name and that is very important to me. For boys, however, we generally like outdoorsy and masculine sounding names. Our biggest "name rule" WAS that it isn't too popular (probably anything over 200). Also important is a good NN, but not a deal breaker. That leads us to Jack...
As I said, he has had several names. Months six through nine we had been pretty set on Ranger. We love the idea of this name. It is not common and VERY outdoorsy but still fits with a lot of the current name trends. We had so many bad reactions to it we started to second guess ourselves. So we decided to give him a "safe" first name and use Ranger as the middle but still call him Ranger. That way if he grows up and hates it, he can go by his first name. That is how we came to Jack. We had briefly discussed it early in the pregnancy but dismissed it due to it's overwhelming popularity (esp. considering Jackson, Jax, and Jaxon). However, it is also a family name, and would work well for a "safe" name. DH liked it more than me and brought it up again. I agreed to it, on the pretense that we would be calling him Ranger and not Jack. HOWEVER... I started liking Ranger less, and he started liking Jack more. Now he is COMPLETELY STUCK ON JACK...and I can't BARE the thought of naming my son that. It doesn't feel right in any way. I also don't like how it works with Evangeline.
Now I don't know what to do. Do I settle for Jack because DH is suddenly so in love with it, or do I stick to my guns and fight for another name? There isn't really anything else we agree on. The only other name he really likes now is Leif...and I HATE it. We both kind of like West but it doesn't work well with our last name. I like Sawyer, Mason (popular I know but it doesn't feel as trendy to me and I have ALWAYS loved it AND it was one of the names we agreed on early in the pregnancy), and Archer. All are borderline too popular/trendy but I would WAY rather use one of them than Jack. BUT if I had to pick a name on the spot it would either be Mason, with an important family middle name or...Xavier with the NN Zane. DH grew up in the South West and can't get over the pronunciation of Javier rather than Xzavier. Xavier, to me, has all the same qualities as Evangeline. They sound SO nice together and they both come from Saint's names! Evangeline and Xavier...And Zane and Evie both sound so fun, light hearted, and adventurous. To me they make the perfect sib set.
Long email I know. Do I push for Xavier or Mason? Do I try to find a name from scratch? Do I settle with Jack? HELP!!! I'm working on barrowed time!
Don't panic. Don't pick a name on the spot; don't give in just because time is running out. (Perhaps read the post from earlier today.) As I understand it, you'll be pressured to name the baby before leaving the hospital, but you DO have longer than that to register the baby's name, it's just a little more hassle. Does anyone know the legal details on this? "It took us four weeks to choose the right name for you!" makes a way better story than "We ran out of time so we panicked and chose something neither of us really like."
In the meantime, tell your husband Jack is out (this is not the kind of situation where one spouse should hold the other to an agreement), and that another name needs to be decided on. Right now he is working in "MAKE HER CHANGE HER MIND!" mode, and he needs to be switched out of that before he can reasonably discuss or come up with other names.
Names to consider:
I'll keep working on this in "make list first, check to see if each name works later" mode and re-publishing as I go: it got caught in my spam filter and has been there since Tuesday and it seems best to publish as soon as possible so we can all work on it together.